In this work, we proposed the power-neutral operating paradigm which negates the need for energy storage to be added to the system. It does this by dynamically modulating a device's performance such that the instantaneous power consumption matches the instantaneous power harvested. In our research, we have demonstrated power-neutral behaviour on both an ultralow power single-core MCU (where power consumption is controlled through dynamic frequency scaling (DFS)), and a heterogeneous multi-core SoC running Linux (where power consumption is controlled through both dynamic voltage and frequency scaling (DVFS) and core hotplugging).
You can find the power-neutral code for the Arm/Samsung 8-core big.Little processor (on the ODROID XU-3/4 platform) below. If you use this in your research, please acknowledge this by citing this paper.
- D. Balsamo, B.J. Fletcher, A.S. Weddell, G. Karatziolas, B.M. Al-Hashimi, G.V. Merrett (2018) Momentum: Power Neutral Performance Scaling with Intrinsic MPPT for Energy Harvesting Computing Systems. ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems.
- D. Balsamo, A. Das, A.S. Weddell, D. Brunelli, B.M. Al-Hashimi, G.V. Merrett and L. Benini (2016) Graceful Performance Modulation for Power-Neutral Transient Computing Systems IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems
Conference Papers, Posters and Presentations
- D. Balsamo, B.J. Fletcher, G.V. Merrett (2018) Power-neutral performance scaling for self-powered multicore computing systems At Adaptive Many-Core Architectures and Systems Workshop, York, United Kingdom. 13 - 15 June 2018.
- G.V. Merrett (2017) Power-neutral computing for IoT devices At ARM Research Summit 2017, Cambridge, United Kingdom. 11 - 13 Sep 2017.
- B. Fletcher, D. Balsamo and G.V. Merrett (2017) Power neutral performance scaling for energy harvesting MP-SoCs In 2017 Design, Automation & Test in Europe Conference & Exhibition (DATE). IEEE.. (doi:10.23919/DATE.2017.7927231).